something good

In the dark, near midnight where magic and reality blur, I can dream anything. “Do you think it will happen? I feel like this could happen.”

Scott’s answer is instant. “Yeah, I think it will happen.”
***

In school my favorite class was creative writing. I took on every assignment with gusto and conviction. This will be the best thing I ever write! I scratched out stories and poems on my bedroom floor. Born with longing I kept journals; logging my days, my feelings as if everything I wrote was meant to be. If I wasn’t writing I was reading, safest among words.

I wasn’t a writer. I just loved to write.

After the car crash words failed me. I had little to say, nothing to write. I couldn’t put pen to paper, afraid of spoiling the page. My fear, my pain in ink. Empty journals traveled with me from hospital to rehab to home. They remained blank and unharmed.

In May 2005 a good friend asked me to speak at a fundraiser for firefighters and burn survivors, to tell my story in 5 minutes on a stage in front of two thousand people. I picked up my pen.

Two and a half years ago on a dare and a dream I began to write my memoir. I didn’t know I wanted to be a writer until my very first writer’s course when all the longing I was born with shook my hands and my heart. After the first class I walked swiftly to my car, keys in hand. I slid into my seat, slammed the door shut and sobbed. I don’t know if I can do this, but I’m home. I’m home.

On March 15th 2012 I received a call from Elizabeth Kracht from Kimberley Cameron & Associates. I am thrilled to announce (because, my friends, it is an announcement) she is now my literary agent. My agent! To say I feel lucky doesn’t begin to do this, me, my life justice. I am lucky, blessed and elated! It’s another piece of redemption, something good from something bad.
***

Scott was right. It happened.

I wrote this in response to a Studio30 Plus writing prompt this week just when I thought that luck didn’t exist. I’m happy to say it does.

Swept up
In these gorgeous celebratory roses from my friend Tanya who was there from the beginning.

45 thoughts on “something good

1. Scout

Cara, anime legal e engraçado …A respeito da terceira temporada, os produtores disseram qe ia ter, mas desistiram prmeovelavnte, vi isso em algum forum (:Logo, não tera, assim como Calintz disse 😛

1. Lance

Congratulations! Looks like I discovered you and your writing excellence at just the right time. Good luck with writing and your agent.

2. Christy

So freaking excited to hear this news Heidi! Will be toasting you tonight with my prosecco!!!! Woot woot!!!!

3. Toriz

A real writer is someone who loves to write; whether they get published or not. Someone who’s in it for the pure enjoyment of the writing. Therefore, you have been a writer all your life, I think!

And, congratulations on making your dream happen! 🙂

4. Meghan

Oh my goodness! Hip, hip, hooray! What an incredible accomplishment! Yay you!
    We definitely need to have drinks which are most definitely on me.

5. Delilah

Oh my gosh Oh my gosh Oh my gosh!! I am so happy for you Heidi! Nobody deserves it more. Your story is and will continue to be inspiration for SO MANY people. I cannot wait to read your book.

6. Eric Storch

Excellent, Heidi! I’ll be first in line to preorder (can you wait in line online?) your book.

I especially loved your line, “They remained blank and unharmed.” That is powerful writing.

You ARE a writer. Do not be afraid to embrace it with everything you have.

Thank you, all!! I hardly know what to do with myself. As soon as I hit ‘publish’ for this post my heart nearly beat out of my chest. It suddenly all became very real. 🙂

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you hear me screaming 6 states away? Look out your window…see me jumping up and down??

I am so dang happy. HAPPY.

HAPPY.

I am so happy for you!!!!!!

HUGE congratulations…

9. Jennifer

SOOOOO EXCITING!! Wonderful news! So happy for you.

Reading your post helps me to realize that it is possible to reach your goals if you work hard and put your passion into your writing the way you do. Thank you! And congratulations!!

10. A.J.

Yeah, Heidi!!! Sooooo wonderful. You have such great things to share. I’m thrilled that you’ll get to share them with more people

11. Nicole

Heidi, I’m SO SO SO HAPPY for you!!! YAY! Can’t wait to get a hold of that book. You have such an amazing gift of writing & now you’ll get to touch many more lives with who you are & your amazing words of hope and life. Congratulations. All that hard work is paying off.

12. Rita

Heidi … I am shaking with excitement for you. I knew this was going to come. Your passion and conviction were so visible and tangible to me even in the all too brief visits we have had. Your posting brings to mind the following quote:

“Your journey has molded you for your greater good, and it was exactly what it needed to be. Don’t think you’ve lost time. There is no short-cutting to life. It took each and every situation you have encountered to bring you to the now. And now is right on time.”

-Asha Tyson

1. http://www./

Oh, so you only want taxes to support only things you use and like? Lol As far as the thinking for yourself comment, it sounds like you better go listen to Limbaugh some more. You contradict yourself more than anybody I know.Too bad you cannot buy a brain. Otherwise you might have a chance at being as smart as you think you are.

13. Pingback: blog bash (I Love You) | Fancy Feet

14. Mary

HEIDI-I ALWAYS BELIEVED!!! Ok, I ALWAYS hoped!!!! I love you so much and absolutely CANNOT wait to get my hands on your book! It’s been a long time coming baby! xoxo